London Underground Refuses To Work With RMT On Model Domestic Violence Policy

Union believes that LU’s plans to close all its ticket offices and remove nearly 1,000 staff from stations will make women passengers more vulnerable to assault

On the day designated by the United National to highlight and oppose violence against women http, rail union RMT has revealed that while some employers are working with the union to develop a policy on domestic violence, London Underground has refused to do so. The union also believes that LU’s plans to close all its ticket offices and remove nearly 1,000 staff from stations will make women passengers more vulnerable to assault.

A survey last year conducted by the End Violence Against Women coalition revealed that 14% of women (including 31% of women aged 18-24) have experienced unwanted sexual attention while travelling on London’s public transport.

The survey also showed that an “alarming” number of women said that they did not feel safe when travelling at night, with 28% saying that they did not feel safe at any time. Women survey respondents said that they wanted more staff, not fewer. http://www.endviolenceagainstwomen.org.uk/news/20/4-in-10-young-women-in...

RMT General Secretary Bob Crow said, ‘Removing a thousand staff from Tube stations and closing all ticket offices will make those who harass or assault women feel more confident to do so, and will make it harder for women who are assaulted to find help. This is one more reason why we are determined to stop these cuts.’

Tracey Darker, chair of the union’s women’s committee added, ‘It is deplorable that London Underground refuses to adopt a policy outlining how it will support its employees – women or men – who suffer domestic violence. Many companies [several of which are listed here: http://www.caadv.org.uk/our_members.php have adopted such a policy, but LU has arrogantly refused to do so, ignoring its basic duty of care.’

> RMT National News

Thursday, 20th August
RAIL union RMT has called on the government to instruct Northern Trains to cease trials that reduce gate line operations.
Friday, 14th August
English Heritage has installed a blue plaque at the former Notting Hill home of Asquith Xavier (1920–1980), the railway worker whose determination to challenge racial discrimination helped bring an end to an unofficial ‘colour bar’ at London’s Euston Station.
Thursday, 13th August
RAIL union RMT praised railway workers following a serious derailment of a Southern Railways train this afternoon (Thursday August 13) near Lewes in Sussex.
Wednesday, 12th August
RAIL UNION RMT warned on the sixth anniversary of the Carmont rail tragedy today (Wednesday August 12) that the government and Network Rail needed to act on safety recommendations.
Friday, 7th August
RAIL union RMT has congratulated its members for the way they dealt with the recent power outages across the rail network.