Bakerloo drivers' strike goes ahead on Friday

RMT strike action on Bakerloo Line goes ahead Friday as LU refuse serious talks

TUBE UNION RMT confirmed today that strike action on the Bakerloo line in a dispute over the impact on train drivers over unworkable timetable changes that place operators under intolerable levels of personal stress will go ahead as planned from lunchtime on Friday after tube bosses slammed the door on serious talks aimed at reaching a solution.

Despite intensive efforts by RMT negotiators to make constructive progress in ACAS talks last week the LU side failed to come up with a plan that would deal with the issues at the heart of the dispute and have now walked away from the table. As a result the strike action goes ahead with the widespread disruption solely the responsibility of London Underground and their intransigence when the union had made it quite clear that there is a deal to be done. RMT remains available for talks even as the clock ticks down.

A ballot for action covering driver members produced a 95% vote for action.

Members have been instructed as follows;

Not to book on for any duty after 11:59 on Friday 21st February until 11:59 on Saturday 22nd February.
Not to book on for any duty after 11:59 on Sunday 23rd February until 11:59 on Monday 24th February.

RMT General Secretary, Mick Cash said:

“RMT is angry and frustrated that hard work by our reps aimed at reaching a negotiated solution to this dispute has been wasted as the company have played us along and failed to make any kind of serious progress. That failure by London Underground chiefs mean that the action goes ahead as planned and even at this late stage we would ask the Mayor to intervene to get his officials back around the table with a serious offer.

“Drivers voted overwhelmingly for action in this dispute which is all about the management imposing timetable changes on the Bakerloo line without any serious recognition of the stress impact on the operators expected to implement them.

“The bottom line is that you cannot place intolerable stress and pressure on tube drivers that impacts on their safety-critical role and that is what this dispute is all about. The union remains available for talks.”

> RMT National News

Sunday, 29th March
RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said
Friday, 27th March
RMT demands urgent action as oil and gas workforce falls by 40% in COVID-19 crisis and global price war
Friday, 27th March
Bus union RMT writes to companies calling for safe working practices during COVID-19 crisis
Thursday, 26th March
RATINGS Union RMT has called on the Government to issue guidance on social distancing, safety equipment, cabin sharing and other safety issues for seafarers during the COVID-19 crisis, particularly on passenger ferries.
Wednesday, 25th March
RMT calls on Freightliner to halt redundancies of key workers at Railfreight terminals