RMT seeks confirmation as deputy mayor says drivers will not have to work Night Tube

Ahead of further strike action, RMT seeks urgent clarification on Deputy Mayor’s claim that “It is not the case that drivers will have to work a night shift”

TUBE UNION RMT has today written to London Mayor Sadiq Khan seeking urgent clarification of comments made by Deputy Mayor Seb Dance on Monday in which he clearly stated that “It is not the case that drivers will have to work a night shift” and that “where a [Night Tube] driver wants to swap a night shift for a day shift that will be possible”.

In his letter Mr Lynch notes that this appears to mark a shift from London Underground and TfL’s previous statements:

“I would like you to confirm that this is the position and as your Deputy has said “it is not the case that drivers will have to work a night shift.” Previously, TfL have briefed the press that drivers will be able to swap shifts if possible but have not gone so far as to claim that that drivers will not have to work a night shift.

“Mr Dance’s answer clearly states that drivers will not have to work night shifts and therefore it follows that night shifts should not be compulsory and drivers will have the ultimate right not to work them. As you know, this is the core principle underpinning RMT’s position.

“If you or London Underground can confirm the above that would be a significant step in the right direction and would I believe serve as the basis for positive discussions.”

 

> RMT National News

Monday, 27th October
Offshore energy union RMT expressed deep concerns today following the news that Petrofac has gone into receivership, placing the jobs and livelihoods of offshore and onshore in jeopardy.
Thursday, 23rd October
RMT celebrated a major win in the maritime industry after securing pay rises of up to 37% for workers at the British Antarctic Survey.
Monday, 20th October
Rail union RMT, has warned the government against using flawed productivity measures and wage restraint for railway workers.
Sunday, 19th October
RMT welcomes government commitment.
Friday, 17th October
Rail union RMT has today marked the 25th anniversary of the Hatfield rail disaster, which claimed four lives and left more than 70 people injured on 17 October 2000.