Ditched £16m Tube project left stations unstaffed

Tube union RMT reveals £16 million cost of botched project which has left dozens of stations dangerous and unstaffed

Tube union RMT today revealed through an FOI request the astronomical waste of nearly £16 million on a system meant to enhance staff rostering but which has left dozens of LU stations dangerous and ‎unstaffed.

The system called RCT – Rostering and Coverage Tool – was introduced to replace the method used by which staff were allocated duties. LUL went ahead with the RCT despite strong representations from RMT and many managers who said that it was not cost effective, not needed, and simply wouldn’t work.

In August , London Underground Limited (LUL) announced the RCT project was to be permanently withdrawn.

This has taken place against a back drop of stations on a daily basis having no staff – sometimes for whole traffic days – because of a general freeze on overtime and farcically slow recruitment of station staff.

The RCT was also linked to the mass job losses of vital station administrators. RMT demands these positions are re-instated .

RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said:

“Despite RMT reps and managers pointing out from a very early stage that the RCT was a waste of money that wouldn’t work, LUL bosses ploughed ahead with this expensive failure.

“Instead of wasting public money on useless and unnecessary systems , LUL would be better served investing money – in this case nearly £16 million – on ensuring all stations are staffed throughout the day and ensuring members of the public have the safe service they deserve.”

> RMT National News

Thursday, 16th October
Rail union RMT, has gone into dispute with Network Rail over pay, after years of falling real-terms wages despite major productivity improvements delivered by staff across the railway.
Tuesday, 14th October
Maritime union RMT, has cancelled its industrial action ballot at Wightlink after the company made several concessions.
Tuesday, 14th October
Rail union RMT, will be holding a demonstration at Old Palace Yard, Westminster against government changes to the Skilled Worker visa scheme which put the jobs and futures of hundreds of rail and Tube staff at risk.
Monday, 13th October
Rail union RMT, will ballot Eurostar members for strike action in a row over safety and conditions at work.
Saturday, 11th October
Rail union RMT, has welcomed Greater Anglia returning to public ownership this Sunday and hailed a breakthrough agreement with the company that brings previously outsourced staff back in-house.