Ballot papers out this week in two Tube disputes

Ballot papers in two separate disputes on London Underground will be arriving with members this week with voting closing on Tuesday 15th November.

The disputes are:

• Tube station staffing and safety. Around 4000 station staff members balloted for action over the impact on safety from the axing of nearly 900 front-line workers alongside the closure of tube ticket offices. RMT says that the cuts have left safety on a knife edge with the incidents at Canning Town and North Greenwich throwing the spotlight on dangers which are being worsened by the cuts process.

• Piccadilly Line drivers balloted in a dispute over breaches of policies, procedures and safety which amount to a wholesale breakdown in industrial relations.

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary, said:

“RMT members on the London Underground stations see day in and day out the toxic impact of the job cuts programme and they are reporting back that it is horrific. With the constant overcrowding on stations and platforms it is only a matter of time before there is a major tragedy if we don’t act decisively. Our dispute is about taking action to haul back the cuts machine and put safety back at the top of the agenda.

“In the separate dispute involving drivers on the Piccadilly Line, safety is again a major factor and is tied in with the ripping up of policies and procedures and ignoring warnings from staff. Our members have been left exposed and vulnerable and we have no choice but to blow the whistle before lasting damage is done.

“RMT is campaigning for a solid YES vote in both ballots and the union remains available for talks.”

> RMT National News

Friday, 21st November
RMT will take strike action on CrossCountry next month after the company failed to resolve long-running issues on pay, staffing and previously agreed commitments.
Wednesday, 19th November
RMT today exposed widespread failures in welfare provision for transport workers, with new survey evidence and frontline testimony showing that women in particular are being denied safe, clean and accessible toilet facilities, leaving employers in breach of basic dignity and clear legal duties.
Wednesday, 19th November
Tube union RMT, will demonstrate outside City Hall tomorrow calling on the Mayor and Transport for London to stop the re-tendering of the London Underground cleaning contract and bring the workforce back in-house.
Wednesday, 19th November
Rail union, RMT today laid bare the safety critical importance of a second person onboard train services after a dispute erupted on East West Rail.
Tuesday, 18th November
RMT steps up campaign to end outsourcing after Lord Ashcroft revealed as majority owner in contractor accused of bullying.