RMT fury at findings of LU Covid-19 risk assessment for BAME workers
  • Union fury as London Underground bosses say BAME staff at no greater risk from Covid-19 at work, than if they stayed at home.

RMT has revealed that in a London Underground document entitled “Covid-19 Risk Assessment for BAME and clinically vulnerable employees Guidance for all line managers” dated 5th June tube bosses have said;

“You can reassure them that we have assessed the risks and put controls in place; and assure them that the risk is no greater at work than not being at work (unless they stay in their home and go nowhere). It’s important also to remind people that being at work is good for individuals and their health. There can be long term health implications for individuals who are not in work for prolonged periods.”

The union is also furious that senior London Underground management have not consulted with union health and safety reps prior to producing the document.

Last month RMT called on industry bosses and safety regulators in the transport sector to take steps to protect BAME workers. On 1 June 2020, the London Mayor made a statement to say that tube bosses should carry out a risk assessment which considers the physical and mental health needs of all vulnerable staff, including BAME, older and those with pre-existing conditions.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said;

“It is simply beyond belief that after the Mayor’s announcement and all his campaigns to highlight the impact of Covid-19 on BAME people that his own managers can produce such an insensitive and patently inaccurate document.

“To say that BAME and vulnerable staff who may have to work in the confined and crowded spaces of London Underground are at no greater risk than if they stayed at home is dangerous garbage.

“I have no doubt that we are in this position because management ignored our offer to involve our experienced health and safety reps at an earlier stage and I am now calling on the Mayor to intervene to protect our members and properly involve the trade unions.”

> RMT National News

Saturday, 21st February
Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) seafarers will take strike action on March 5th and 6th in a dispute over pay, transparency and compliance with minimum wage legislation.
Friday, 20th February
RMT has accused Network Rail of failing to provide adequate toilet and welfare facilities for maintenance patrol workers, warning that the situation may amount to breaches of health and safety law.
Thursday, 19th February
RMT members at Northfields fleet maintenance depot servicing Piccadilly line trains are taking four days of strike action this week following a breakdown in industrial relations.
Tuesday, 17th February
Maritime union, RMT has welcomed an overwhelming vote for strike action by seafarers employed by the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) after management could not even demonstrate that it was complying with minimum wage legislation.
Tuesday, 10th February
RMT is demanding a new law to safeguard transport workers in Scotland against a sharp rise in assaults, ahead of a meeting with MSPs in Holyrood.