RMT General Secretary's message for 2019

In a New Year's message in advance of next phase of action on Northern and South West Railway RMT's Mick Cash says union will step up fight for publicly owned, safe and accessible transport services in 2019.

In a New Year's message in advance of the next phase of action on Northern and South West Railway RMT's Mick Cash says union will step up fight for publicly owned, safe and accessible transport services in 2019

General Secretary Mick Cash said;

"Throughout 2018 RMT members have fought for the principles of a publicly-owned, safe and accessible transport network for all. In 2019 we will be stepping up that campaign as the Tory Government teeters on the brink and the prospect of sweeping away years of private greed and austerity ‎grows by the day.

"I want to pay particular tribute to RMT  members on Northern and South Western Railway who will be striking again this weekend ‎and on New Year's Eve in a long-running battle to put public safety before private profit. They are a credit to the entire trade union movement.

"We have major pay campaigns looming large on our agenda early in the New Year, notably on Network Rail and London Underground, and the union has made it absolutely clear that we will not accept any attempt to undermine our members' standard of living and that we will fight to ensure that those standards are both protected and enhanced.

"From the railways to the offshore and shipping industry and through to the buses and road transport RMT has fought against a tide of cuts, privatisation and for the principles of workplace justice for all. That fight will ratchet up as we head into the New Year."

> RMT National News

Friday, 21st November
RMT will take strike action on CrossCountry next month after the company failed to resolve long-running issues on pay, staffing and previously agreed commitments.
Wednesday, 19th November
RMT today exposed widespread failures in welfare provision for transport workers, with new survey evidence and frontline testimony showing that women in particular are being denied safe, clean and accessible toilet facilities, leaving employers in breach of basic dignity and clear legal duties.
Wednesday, 19th November
Tube union RMT, will demonstrate outside City Hall tomorrow calling on the Mayor and Transport for London to stop the re-tendering of the London Underground cleaning contract and bring the workforce back in-house.
Wednesday, 19th November
Rail union, RMT today laid bare the safety critical importance of a second person onboard train services after a dispute erupted on East West Rail.
Tuesday, 18th November
RMT steps up campaign to end outsourcing after Lord Ashcroft revealed as majority owner in contractor accused of bullying.