Funding deal a "shabby political attempt to strangle TfL and punish working people‎"

RMT blasts latest government drip-feed deal as further blow for London’s Transport
Transport union RMT today slammed the government for imposing yet another short-term funding deal on Transport for London which continues to make vital support for public transport conditional on more damaging austerity attacks on workers.

The latest deal lasts until 18 May, meaning that TfL is in almost continuous negotiation and heroic keyworkers who have worked through the pandemic are left wondering about their future.

Responding to the Transport Secretary’s statement in the Commons, RMT General Secretary Mick Cash said,

“This is yet another drip-feed funding deal coupled to the same tired old Tory attacks on our keyworkers. It's clear that this stop-start approach is designed to try and assist the Tory mayoral candidate rather than giving London transport the stability it so badly needs as we emerge out of this lockdown.

"People who have put their lives on the line day in and day out to keep the capital moving are living in suspense, not knowing what the future holds and being told that they need to pay for the Coronavirus with attacks on their jobs and livelihoods.

"London needs a proper funding deal that allows investment in public transport to support a green recovery from this terrible pandemic, not this shabby political attempt to strangle TfL and punish working people‎."

> RMT National News

Friday, 21st November
RMT will take strike action on CrossCountry next month after the company failed to resolve long-running issues on pay, staffing and previously agreed commitments.
Wednesday, 19th November
RMT today exposed widespread failures in welfare provision for transport workers, with new survey evidence and frontline testimony showing that women in particular are being denied safe, clean and accessible toilet facilities, leaving employers in breach of basic dignity and clear legal duties.
Wednesday, 19th November
Tube union RMT, will demonstrate outside City Hall tomorrow calling on the Mayor and Transport for London to stop the re-tendering of the London Underground cleaning contract and bring the workforce back in-house.
Wednesday, 19th November
Rail union, RMT today laid bare the safety critical importance of a second person onboard train services after a dispute erupted on East West Rail.
Tuesday, 18th November
RMT steps up campaign to end outsourcing after Lord Ashcroft revealed as majority owner in contractor accused of bullying.