Docklands Light Railway strike suspended

RMT press release, issued today

A STRIKE by members of Britain’s biggest rail union working in the control room of the Docklands Light Railway has been suspended after the company agreed to leave existing roster and leave arrangements in place pending the outcome of further talks.

Some 30 RMT members had been scheduled to begin a 24-hour stoppage at 13:05 on Monday in a dispute over changes to weekend working hours.

The union had already suspended a work-to-rule scheduled to begin on January 5, but gave notice of strike action after subsequent talks foundered.

“Serco Docklands has now agreed to keep the status quo on rosters, rest days and holiday arrangements pending the outcome of talks, and has allocated extra relief cover to allow that to happen,” RMT general secretary Bob Crow said today.

“That means there will be no imposition of the disputed rosters and our members will be able to take holidays as normal, and on that basis we have suspended the action due to begin on Monday.

“Our reps have already made proposals which we believe satisfy all of the company’s concerns, and we hope there can now be the basis for a negotiated settlement that satisfies all sides,” Bob Crow said.

> RMT National News

Monday, 27th October
Offshore energy union RMT expressed deep concerns today following the news that Petrofac has gone into receivership, placing the jobs and livelihoods of offshore and onshore in jeopardy.
Thursday, 23rd October
RMT celebrated a major win in the maritime industry after securing pay rises of up to 37% for workers at the British Antarctic Survey.
Monday, 20th October
Rail union RMT, has warned the government against using flawed productivity measures and wage restraint for railway workers.
Sunday, 19th October
RMT welcomes government commitment.
Friday, 17th October
Rail union RMT has today marked the 25th anniversary of the Hatfield rail disaster, which claimed four lives and left more than 70 people injured on 17 October 2000.