Since announcing an overtime ban and preparation for further strike action, the media have once again been focusing on tube bosses and Tory Mayor Boris Johnson's plan to cut £4.2 billion pounds from the tube, and the RMT fight to stop it.
BBC News - Tube strike: London Underground workers to ban overtime
The latest industrial action by London Underground (LU) workers over the dispute about plans to close all ticket offices and cut 960 jobs has been announced.
DISMISSAL, PETRIT MIHAJ – SODEXO (LUL/4/4)
Further to my previous Circular No. IR/196/14, 31st July 2014, this matter has again been considered by the General Grades Committee, which has noted the successful strike action by Sodexo members on Monday 4th August in pursuit of reinstatement for Brother Mihaj.
CROSS LINE WORKING – TRAIN OPERATORS – PICCADILLY LINE, LONDON UNDERGROUND (LUL/14/1)
A report has been received from the Lead Officer concerning the Company’s plans to run a service at Ealing Broadway over the Christmas period using Piccadilly Line staff during a period of engineering work. This does not constitute a service emergency and therefore amounts to cross line working which is in breach of our agreements for Train Operators.
I have received a report from the Regional Organiser over a dispute affecting Drivers on the Central Line. This dispute originally arose last year over a number of health and safety and industrial concerns. Management had been breaching their own policies and guidelines on numerous occasions They had also failed to complete agreed actions in a timely manner and an institutionalised reluctance to engage in meaningful talks on serious safety concerns.
- ISS members balloted for action
- Many cleaners, including reps locked out
- Cleaners expected to book on in rat infested cupboards
Branches will be aware that ISS imposed a Biometric booking on system back in July without our agreement despite the clear and overwhelming objection of their own staff. We have been in dispute ISS for over a year because we firmly believe this system is a breach of your civil liberties. It is not acceptable for an employer to force staff to give their Biometric “fingerprint” data to allow them to work their shift.
- With effect from 00.01 hours Wednesday 3rd September 2014, until further notice, all station staff and station supervisors are instructed not to work any overtime
- With effect from 00.01 hours Wednesday 3rd September 2014, until further notice, all Station Supervisors members are instructed not to participate in development courses and assessments at the Development centres.
CROSS LINE WORKING – TRAIN OPERATORS – PICCADILLY LINE – LONDON UNDERGROUND
That we note the report on file advising that LUL are now in breach of previous agreements.
Accordingly we instruct the Acting General Secretary to inform the Company that we are in dispute, also to prepare a ballot for strike action and short of strike action of our affected members.
In addition, all reps are instructed not to cooperate with any work to facilitate the proposals, plus all relevant branches to be consulted on possibility of strike action should management not withdraw their proposals.
‘That we note the successful strike action that took place on Monday 4th in respect of the appalling dismissal of Bro. Petrit Mihaj purely based on his trade union activities which was successfully defended at the employment tribunal.
We note that the Hammersmith and City branch along with the London Transport Regional Council have held three successful demonstrations outside Sodexo Headquarters in London, however, the Company have remained silent on the issue.
- Indefinite overtime ban begins 00:01 on 3rd September
- Supervisors instructed not to attend development course from 00:01 on 3rd September
- Prepare for strike in near future
‘That we note a meeting of our London Underground members took place on Friday 22nd August 2014 to discuss the latest developments in the campaign to fight against job cuts, the closure of ticket offices and pushing back austerity measures on London Underground.
Please find attached the WEA TUC course programme for 2014/2015
We have following courses starting in Sept/Oct – all 9.30a.m – 4.30pm;
For new reps
- Stage 1 Union Reps – 10 Mondays starting 29th September
- Stage 1 H&S – 10 Wednesdays starting 1st October
For those who have completed Stage 1 and/or own union equivalent
- Certificate in Employment Law (Stage 2 Union Reps) – 10 Tuesdays starting 30th September
- Next Steps for Safety Reps (Stage 2 H&S) - 10 Thursdays starting 2nd October
And Diploma courses for those who have completed above!