London Transport Region Executive Members Report To Executive Meeting
This is the report from our Executive Member Janine Booth to this month's Executive Council Meeting. We've added links to each report item to explain what they mean in some more detail.
To find out more attend your local branch, or the Regional or Executive meetings where these points can be discussed in detail, points raised or questions asked about them.
REGIONAL ORGANISER VACANCY
- cover - Following our previous RO Steve Hedley's successful campaign and election as Assistant General Secretary we now have a vacancy for Regional Organiser. An election is underway with three candidates and branches currently nominating for our new RO
CRIMINAL INJURIES COMPENSATION
- government attacks withdrawn (for now)
A letter from General Secretary Bob Crow in April explains the attack -
"I write to advise you that the Government yet again are proposing changes to the CICS that if implemented will affect the compensation that our members currently receive when attacked at work or when they experience a suicide on the railways. It is currently proposed to abolish the lower tariff bands of the Compensation Criminal Injury Scheme (CICS), this move will remove from eligibility the majority of our members injured as a result of criminal violence during the course of their work."
TUC DEMONSTRATION, OCTOBER 20 - read about RMT involvement in this demo here
EMPLOYMENT TRIBUNAL CHANGES
- still time to campaign against some of these
There will be a meeting on the 25th of September to explain these changes.
"The RMT's London Transport Regional council has organised a meeting for members to discuss the changes to Employment tribunals - one of many attacks from the Tories on workers. The meeting will also discuss how these and further attacks could be defended against."
- branch ‘spheres of influence’ agreed by Council of Executives
Branch spheres of influence - ie which gade and workplace is in which branch - are listed here
- training for branches on involving cleaners
- improving preparation of ballot matrices - This point was raised in a motion to the regional council:
"We are frustrated by the length of time it is taking to produce matrices for notifications of Industrial action ballots ( (eg) for current /recent ballots on TFL,ISS, and Initial) which costs our Union momentum, morale and effectiveness in those disputes. We ask the Council Of Executives to investigate how this process can be conducted in a more timely manner."
- collating info re anticipated job cuts
- Company Council deadline tomorrow
- Safety Forum tomorrow
- Jason Moriarty - Industrial Relations rep at Stratford, management have suddenly decided to stop recognising him in the position.
It appears that LUL have now decided that they will choose who can and cannot be a local rep. Management has refused to recognise IR rep Jason Moriarty after RMT head office had notified the director of employee relations as per normal protocol of his return as local IR rep.
- review of machinery of negotiation
- PMAs / disciplinary review
- ICSAs etc – post-Olympics press release; return to talks; ex-managers brought in?; need organising campaign among grades used as ICSAs - read more about ICSA's and the casualisation dispute
- reps’ meeting 17/9/12
- national strategy to be drawn up
- new ballot on Carlisle (cleaners and security)In our region Carlisle members work on the Docklands Light Railway. Read about the on going cleaners dispute here.
TRAINPEOPLE This section of the site has news for members working for this company.
- national strategy adopted
- Regional Council to nominate an activist to be responsible for this work
CARLISLE SECURITY (LU)
- our rep suspended
LONDON CYCLE HIRE SCHEME More news on the Cycle Hire Scheme here.
- meeting between Community, RMT and Serco management to discuss recognition
- meeting tomorrow
NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEES
- nominations open soon
- Black & Ethnic Minority Members’ Advisory Committee expanded
The Executive Committee recently made a decision to expand this advisory committee -
"That after reviewing the number of Black and Ethnic minority members, we recommend to the Council of Executives that for the period of office from 1st January 2013 to the 31st December 2015 there will be a minimum of two delegates and a maximum of six delegates per Regional Council Area based upon one delegate per 150 members."
LGBT - News on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered matters is here.
- international campaigning
- transgender woman anti-deportation case
- homophobic bullying in schools
WOMEN - News on the Women's advisory and other items related to Women members is here.
- weekend training course, Doncaster
- Matchfest 2013
- Children with Special Educational Needs – draft legislation now published
- branch submission to Law Commission review
TAXIS News on London Taxis is here.