RMT To Collate Information As Part Of Fight Against Future Job Cuts At LUL
We note that this document adds further evidence to support our belief that London Underground is planning a wholesale attack on jobs and conditions, under the pretext of new technology such as driverless trains, smartcard ticketing and automated maintenance. We reaffirm this union’s view that new technology should be used to complement staff, improve services and increase safety – not as a pretext for cutting staff and cutting corners.
We instruct the General Secretary to obtain a report itemising recent, current and impending issues being discussed at London Underground’s level 2, tier 2 and upgrades levels which may constitute preparations for
attacks on jobs and conditions, and to place this in front of us.
We further instruct the General Secretary to:
- ensure that RMT participates in SERTUC’s Transport Industries Network and raises this issue there
- discuss this issue with RMT’s Parliamentary group
- seek dialogue with potentially-supportive GLA members
We instruct the General Secretary to arrange for the compilation of information that will support our campaigning, to include:
- the financial state of TfL/LU – including pay rates of top officials and levels of government grant
- projects currently being proposed or developed for new ways of working eg. ticketing, train operation
- policies, quotes and arguments on future Tube operation from political parties, think tanks, academics etc.
- all proposals for new lines and extensions and for funding them
- summary of leaked documents
- facts on the accessibility of London Underground to disabled passengers
- comparisons with other metro systems around the world, including their funding
- the financial consequences of PPP – and the payouts and profits made from PPP by companies / individual fat cats
We merge this file with the files PROTECTION OF STAFFING LEVELS, LONDON UNDERGROUND (LUL/15/5), DEEP TUBE PROGRAMME – LONDON UNDERGROUND (LUL/15/4) and FIT FOR LONDON – LONDON UNDERGROUND / TfL (LUL/22/2) and name the merged file DEFENDING LONDON UNDERGROUND JOBS AND CONDITIONS.
London Transport Regional Council and branches to be advised.