Strengthening Grades Committees
This resolution, aimed at strengthening the union's grades committees in our Region, was passed unanimously by the Regional Council Annual General Meeting on 25 February.
THIS REGIONAL COUNCIL BELIEVES THAT:
1. grades committees can perform three important roles:
- improving RMT's recruitment and organisation within the grade
- bringing local reps and activists from different locations together for mutual support, exchange of information and ideas
- providing a forum for guidance to and accountability of level 2 / tier 2 reps
2. we need to organise both cross-grade in localities (branches) and cross-location for grades (grades committees); these are complementary.
WE THEREFORE RESOLVE THAT:
1. The Regional Organiser should request the employer to release all local reps quarterly to attend. While a grades committee may meet more often than this eg. monthly, all reps should make every effort to attend the quarterly meetings. If the employer refuses paid release, then reps should use other methods of being available, including branches funding unpaid release within reason.
2. Each grades committee to ensure that, together with the level 2 / tier 2 reps, regular newsletters are produced and that grade's website section developed.
3. Any grades committee that has not held an Annual General Meeting within the last year shall hold one within the next two months.
WE RESOLVE TO AMEND THE REGIONAL COUNCIL'S STANDING ORDERS AS FOLLOWS:
In Standing Order 11, after "all branch secretaries and chairs", ADD "all grades committee secretaries and chairs, "
ADD new Standing Order 21:
21. The Regional Council will establish grades committees where appropriate.
(a) Each grades committee should adopt standing orders governing its functioning, including titles and roles of appropriate officers, which should be endorsed by the Regional Council.
(b) Each grades committee must hold an Annual General Meeting during the same month as the Regional Council AGM, with a Regional Council officer in attendance. The AGM will elect the grades committee's officers, and the election result will be reported to the Regional Council AGM.
(c) Each grades committee should agree a recruitment and organising plan at its AGM each year, and submit it to the Regional Council for endorsement and appropriate resourcing.